In this tutorial we will create a WordPress Plugin which integrates with the Google Document Spreadsheet API to add content dynamically to your site straight from Google Docs (soon to be Google Drive).
Despite having a CMS in the form of WordPress there's lots of times pulling info in from a Google Drive Spreadsheet can be really useful:
- We used it to pull in an event list which the golf club has to also maintain offline in an Excel spreadsheet. It's simple to copy from Excel and paste into a G drive spreadsheet but not so much into a WordPress page.
- We used it to pull in information like price and availability for properties in a development. This let multiple members of staff update the details regularly without needing to login or understand the WordPress setup.
We've also used this on lots of HTML sites which don't need CMS systems but need the ability to update one page on the site, like their prices or menu pages. If you want to do this yourself here's a tutorial.
You will need:
- A Google Account with access to drive and Google Code
- PHP and WordPress API knowledge is helpful
- Our Helper Class which is written specifically for this plugin, download it here